User login

Weekly Report

20

Apr

2016

Started looking at the things translating OpenFlow rules to fit new pipelines. The first part of this is to understand the types of rules controllers are installing and looking manually at what possible changes could be made. The first step of this is collecting runtime traces of a number of controllers working in realistic networks. So that we can identify rules that scale with hosts, vs one-time setup rules etc.

As such I've worked on my quickly hacked together passthrough OpenFlow controller and reworked threading to use a processing thread with a publish, process architecture, rather than spawning a new thread per message. I've then used libtrace to record the OpenFlow conversations. I've also added simple support to try and group similar sets of rules and count their frequencies.

Next week I will be compiling a set of test OpenFlow applications and collecting traces and flow tables.