User login

Weekly Report - 18/07/14

20

Jul

2014

I put 6lbr on the Raspberry Pi this week, following their fairly simple hello world guide, which involves connecting the Pi with a remote host directly via Ethernet. I can access the web server exposed on the 6lbr host, but 6lbr still seems unable to find or communicate with other nearby motes. I have been following the guides as closely as possible to try and eliminate extra variables - interestingly to start with, I tried on a regular network (redcables) which didn't work, so will come back to that at some point later.

The slip-radio application used by the tunnel mote compiles fine out of the box, although I needed to hardcode in its RF channel (supposedly it can be changed from within the web app, but that seems to have no effect as evidenced in the logs). The 6lbr-demo application required a slight modification so that it wouldn't overflow the RAM on the device: essentially it needs to be added to a list of known low-resource devices, but for now I've hardcoded in the low-resource values.

After more research manually looking through mailing list messages I found that one other person has tried using the stm32w chip with 6lbr and ran into similar problems. It is suggested that a platform-dependent command handler method needs to be written but ultimately no further progress is documented. From what I could tell, the command handler is only used to change the RF channel and PAN ID at runtime, and these should already be set to the correct values anyway. Implementing the command handler looked reasonably trivial so to confirm that not having the handler wasn't causing my problem, I implemented it myself. It looks like it is working, and indeed hasn't changed anything.

I've sent an email to the 6lbr mailing list to check what stage support for stm32w is at and to see whether it's an issue. Soliciting help seems like the best way forward right now!