User login

Weekly Report -- 15/01/2016

15

Jan

2016

Tracked down a segfault in the Ostinato drone whenever I tried to halt packet generation on the DPDK interfaces. This took a lot longer than it normally would have, since valgrind doesn't work too well with DPDK and there are about 10 threads active when the problem occurs. It eventually proved to be a simple case of a '<=' being used instead of a '<', but that was enough to corrupt the return pointer for the function that was running at the time, causing the segfault.

Once I fixed that, I was able to write some scripts to orchestrate sending packets at specific rates for a period of time, while having a libtrace program running at the other end of the link trying to capture and process these packets. Once the packet generation is over, the libtrace program is halted. This will form the basis of my experiments to determine how much traffic we can capture and process with parallel libtrace. The experiments will use different capture methods (ring, DAG, DPDK, PF_RING etc), different packet rates, different numbers of processing threads (from 1 - 16) and different workloads ranging from just counting packets to cryptopan anonymisation.

My initial tests have shown that the numbers of dropped packets are not particularly consistent across captures with otherwise identical parameters, so I'll have to run each experiment multiple times so that I can get some more statistically valid results.

Also spent a bit of time helping Brendon capture some traces of his ICMP packets to help figure out whether his timing issues are network-based or host-based.

Groups: