User login

Jeremy Utting's blog

25

Feb

2013

This week we gave our presentation, which I think went quite well. I also added the tooltips for the hops grid, as well as re-doing all the tooltips so that they display the current cell data, since the cells no longer contain numbers. I started implementing the custom mesh selection utility based on the idea Brendon and Jamie had of a giant sliding select box which has all the meshes you can select, and some detailed information about them.

19

Feb

2013

This week I added the hops data to the grid, and fine-tuned the scales for the coloring scheme. I also implemented the dynamic scale for the latency cells, which compares the most recent value to the lowest observed value in the past 24 hours, as this is likely to be what we want the connection to be running at. The cell is then colored based on a static deviation from this ideal value. Will be looking at doing something like a standard deviation soon.

04

Feb

2013

This week I perfected the dynamic switching of matrix meshes, ironed out the last few major bugs, and did a brief styling pass while I was at it.

I also integrated some sparklines graphs into the mouse-over tooltips, with specific data for whichever test is being viewed. They are currently displaying the last 24 hours data, with a 10 minute binsize.

29

Jan

2013

This week I started investigating my options for displaying ipv6 data alongside the current ipv4 data, and still maintaining the minimalistic grid display. One of the talks at NZNOG presented the perfSONAR Dashboard, which had a nice way of displaying two data sets, and some other nice features that I'm going to use as inspiration for the AMP matrix. I've also started implementing the ability to change meshes without a page load, which involves dynamically destroying and recreating the grid, and then populating it with new data. I also streamed a few of the NZNOG talks, particularly those related to security and ipv6, which were quite enjoyable.

22

Jan

2013

This week was spent putting the finishing touches on the AMP matrix grid. I polished and ironed out all the bugs I was having with the grid functionality, and added the mouse-over tooltips. I'm using jquery-ui tooltips, which has been a bit of a mission at times, because they don't quite fully implement a few of the features I'm trying to do with them. But I've managed to manually override the fetching of content via ajax, and the automatic mouse-out closing, in order to make them behave as I want.

This week was also spent sorting out backwards compatibility, particularly with the earlier versions of Internet Explorer. After some painstaking trial and error with css, and using History.js to allow browser push state in older browsers, I've managed to get the main grid page looking pretty, and more importantly, funtional, all the way back to IE 5.5 :)

14

Jan

2013

This week I started polishing the amp2 matrix grid for it's working prototype. We're now working with real data, so I've been able to tweak the format of the data, and the sizes and shapes of cells/labels within the grid, to be more in-line with the finished product. One of the main issues I think I'm going to run into is how to display all the destination node labels when the mesh is very large. At the moment I just have vertical text - which works, but isn't that ideal (a little hard to read).

17

Dec

2012

This week I added tabs to the AMP matrix, for displaying different data types. I've currently got latency and loss working nicely with the ajax data source, as well as dynamically updating the URL so that it always reflects the current state of the graph, without ever reloading the page.

I'm currently mapping out the relationship between the URL and the resources displayed, with a "never error" approach, so that no matter what is passed as a URL, some useful content will always be displayed.

Next week I intend to improve the display of the matrix, make it smaller and more grid-like, as well as appropriately colouring the cells to aid the display of information.

10

Dec

2012

This week I implemented a grid between a few AMP test nodes, using the DataTables jQuery plug-in. The latency cells are populated with test data by an ajax data source, removing the need for a periodic page re-load. For testing purposes I have it pulling new data every second, and it's working really well, without compromising the browser's perfomance. I've started styling the grid, to make it look more appropriate for the data it's displaying, as well as adding visual cues for sorting.

02

Dec

2012

This week Chris and I sat down and sorted through which libraries we could use for providing more fluid graphing, and started to think about how to re-implement the matrix, without being too heavy on the DOM. I've started trying to re-use the DataTables jQuery plug-in to display the matrix, but simplify it so that it's not quite so browser intensive, and can display the data in a way which will scale nicely.

I also wrote a global header template which will be used on every page, and has all the basic includes, as well as the potential for each page to pass it page-specific includes.

25

Nov

2012

Spent the week familiarizing myself with the way pyramid displays web content, relating this back to the ampweb skeleton code, and started making minor changes. Also did some tutorials on retrieving/handling data, using SQLalchemy. I've started reading a few books on designing usable, intuitive interfaces, including "Don't make me think" by Steve Krug (good read).