Again not a lot to report this week as my time was spent on other assignments
Tested out the effect of manual nova compute access policy changes. Have decided on project-role-based access control as opposed to project-based access control in order to minimise changes to the access policy file. Also need to test the ability to custom create user accounts on the admin panel of the dashboard.
Added config options to amp-web for specifying the location of the netevmon and amp meta-data databases. Previously we had assumed these were on the local machine, which proved troublesome when Brad tried to get Cuz running on warlock.
Capped the maximum range of the summary graph to prevent users from zooming out into empty space.
Fixed some byte-ordering bugs in libpacketdump's RadioTap and 802.11 header parsing on big endian architectures.
Got the AMP packaging for CentOS working well enough that I can now
build and install packages that almost work straight out of the box.
Split the package into two parts - one that operates with a local broker
and one without. Merged some of the required changes back into the
Debian versions too.
While testing the packaging on a CentOS virtual machine I found a few
interesting issues. Tests where the targets were resolved at runtime
were being run to two targets, but with the same address - for some
reason identical, duplicate IPv4 addresses were being returned if
getaddrinfo() was given AF_UNSPEC (which I do because I want both IPv4
and IPv6 addresses if available). Also, with the traceroute test I was
seeing some very high latency to some hops, extra hops at the end of my
paths, etc. Some of this was due to late responses arriving and being
treated the same as on time ones, and some of this appears to be related
to possibly broken behaviour in the VM NAT - ICMP TTL expired messages
are being received where the TTL in the embedded packet is too large to
have expired on that hop!
Spent some time trying to figure out exactly what was going on in the VM
case, and how best to make the test robust in these cases.
Since doing my presentation I have done a bit more reading and have just started on writing the proposal.
So the idea is to include fault detection into the distributed router used for Cardigan. Looking at packet counts hitting various flows/ports and injecting packets to determine when there is a problem. I have to look at how to make it quick to react without overreporting or overwhelming the controller.
This would like to use openflow groups, which have failover mechanisms, however these are not implemented by anyone as far as I am aware.
Finished downloading the warts files from the last scamper fields run. The fields run collects data about the ability of non load balancing fields to cause load balancing segregation. I have been unable to start the next run so far as some operating systems on the nodes are being upgraded.
The warts churn analysis program has been upgraded to count load balancers with the same divergence point but different successors. Also there has been a count of traces were the destination has been reached.
The internet simulator has been set up for version control and an attempt to use a large data set has been carried out. The simulator seems to have a heap limit of 16GB, so this will need to be increased.
Worked on some improvements to RRDBot for REANNZ. I have given these patches to REANNZ so they can test against their setup and start using them.
I read over a research paper describing an algorithm for online Bayesian changepoint detection and starting writing this into code to be used by netevmon.
Not much to report this week due to the honours conference other than I have started the testing process.
Continued working on the design of the new pages. Next step will be to integrate the admin panel into the dashboard and to test out the changing of the access policy to restrict user access.
I've been incorporating feedback from the external examiners into my
thesis in preparation for the oral. In the process of this I have also
been changing the formatting of a number of things and started to look
at updating to make them slightly prettier. Richard and I have also
started on a paper on the packet trace annotation format.